Marjon Community News Hub

My final day as Deputy President!

Picture of Joe Lynch
My final day as Deputy President!
by Joe Lynch - Friday, 2 July 2021, 12:00 PM

Hi everyone, just to let everyone know that today is my final day as Deputy President of Marjon Students' Union and at Marjon.

I’ve been trying to write this over the last few days, and it has been a struggle to put into words how much being both a student at Marjon and an SU officer has done for me, it really has changed my life, but it’s become more difficult for me to leave than I had expected. Marjon has been a home for me for the last 5 years, as it becomes for many of us, and although I’m leaving in an official capacity, I’ll still be a part of Marjon and the community we have here.

The last year has been so difficult for everyone in so many different ways, and I would be lying if I said I hadn’t also been affected. There have been good times, and times when I’ve struggled, and I’ve grown from it, as we all have in ways.

To all the students of Marjon, past and present: thank you for giving me the opportunity to represent you, it has been an amazing experience and I hope I managed to live up to the expectations and role of those who came before me. Keep speaking up and let your voices be heard, you can make the changes you want to see, and the last year has shown not only some of the drawbacks university and life but how we can make some real change to better everyone. Don’t let anyone tell you your voice doesn’t matter because one voice can make all the difference in the world.

To the staff of the university and wider: thank you for being supportive and kind, even when you haven’t known me, or things have been difficult for us all. I know that in this role I may have challenged things and things that have been said, and pushed on issues faced, but everything I did, I did to make things better, and I know that the work we all did together was to make Marjon even better than it was already, so thank you for being part of that journey.

I want to say a massive thank you to everyone who believed in me and supported me over the last 5 years, it’s been difficult and things have changed so much, but I truly appreciate everything that people have done and the opportunities I’ve been given that so many other won’t have been.

A special thank you to Lauren, Mick, Tracey, Kev and the rest of the SU team this year for making what could have been an impossible year into something that I was able to learn from, develop, challenge things, support people and do everything else with the unwavering support that we all should get. I wish Will and the rest of the new officers the best of luck, you will be amazing!

Hopefully, the work we have all done this year might have inspired people to get more involved with the SU more, or at least feel they are represented enough to go to the SU for any help they need. As always, I encourage every student out there to talk to your SU, don’t be afraid to go to them about problems you’re facing or even if you just want to talk, they are there for you and I know will always do their best to support you.

I'll still be staying in Plymouth so I'm sure I'll see some of you around, and please don't hesitate to say hello if you see me, but again thank you all for everything you have done, and as always, you will always be my Marjon.

Picture of Esther Tonna-Morgan
Re: My final day as Deputy President!
by Esther Tonna-Morgan - Friday, 2 July 2021, 12:51 PM

Wow, Joe what a lovely message. I have only know you a short time but can easily see the positive impact you have had during your time as Deputy President. 

You are a real asset to Marjon as both a colleague & former student, but I know you are particularly valued within the student community. 

Well done and thank you for all your hard work. I'm pleased to hear you'll b staying in Plymouth. Wishing you all the best in whatever exciting venture lies ahead for you!

Picture of Sophie Corner
by Sophie Corner - Friday, 2 July 2021, 2:51 PM

Wishing you the best of luck Joe!!! Xx

Picture of Lynda Tout
by Lynda Tout - Monday, 5 July 2021, 9:04 AM

Joe, how has that come around so fast?!  The work you did over the last year(s) really made a difference and you will be missed.  But best of luck for the future, I know you will do well and you will always be linked to Marjon so don't forget to pop back and let us know how you are doing!  Lyn