This was raised at a recent Health and Safety meeting and below is an industry wide definition of a First Aider.
The role of a first aider is to provide immediate, lifesaving, medical care before the arrival of further medical help. This could include performing procedures such as:
• Placing an unconscious casualty into the recovery position
• Performing Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
• Using an automated external defibrillator (AED)
• Stopping bleeding using pressure and elevation
• Keeping a fractured limb still
A first aider’s overall aim should be to preserve life