Community News

Referencing Guidance

This forum has a limit to the number of forum postings you can make in a given time period - this is currently set at 10 posting(s) in 1 day
Picture of Helen Heywood
Referencing Guidance
by Helen Heywood - Monday, 21 November 2016, 10:09 AM

Last week I received a lot of requests for guidance relating to the issue of referencing. In light of this, I thought it would be appropriate to post some general guidance regarding the referencing system you are expected to use at the University of St Mark & St John.

Here at Marjon we use a referencing system based upon the Harvard conventions of referencing, (author, date). As there is NO standardised or definitive version of Harvard, each university uses its own variant of the system. That is to say that there is one version of Harvard referencing at Exeter, or Plymouth or Bath Universities-these may also vary between faculties as they are large institutions-just as there is a Marjon version of Harvard referencing here at our University. MARGen was developed using our version of the Harvard referencing system, just as any other piece of referencing software, for example RefME or Cite this for me, will be based upon a variation of the Harvard referencing system. (Please be careful to check the reference once generated, as inputting incorrect information in, will produce an incorrectly formatted reference!)

Full guidance on the Harvard referencing system used here at Marjon can be found in the Institutional guidance on referencing PDF, and the Academic Skills Referencing FAQs. More information on referencing can be found in the referencing section of the Student Handbook in the Academic Matters section, or the Academic Skills Learning Zone.

I hope that helps to clarify the situation. If you are still a bit confused, and let's face it referencing can be a bit of a minefield, then please either email me, hheywood@marjon.ac.uk or come to one of the Library Drop In sessions which are advertised on the HUB.