Marjon Community News Hub

The intensity of living with Borderline Personality Disorder

Picture of Lynda Tout
The intensity of living with Borderline Personality Disorder
by Lynda Tout - Thursday, 17 May 2018, 2:18 PM

I've received the email below from the Mighty, a great source of personal stories of people who have mental ill health diagnoses.  I hope you enjoy learning more about mental ill health.  If you are a student needing support, a reminder that you can either email us at studentsupport@marjon.ac.uk or drop in to a Disability drop in to discuss support and get advice about the help that is available to anyone with a mental ill health diagnoses.  Lynda Tout, Inclusion Coordinator.

“It’s like I’m walking around with an exposed third degree burn on my skin. That ‘skin’ being my emotions. Anything can trigger my emotions without warning. Because of this, I can feel some intense highs, leaving me in a state of utter bliss. On the flip side, my lows are deep and dark.”

These are the words of Mighty community member Asher Rose, who described what emotional intensity feels like to her.

If you feel things intensely, know you are not alone. While it can be extremely painful to experience emotional intensity because of BPD, sometimes it can be a strength as well. As Mighty contributor Kate Puim put it, “We feel so deeply that we tend to help those who are hurting, offer a sense of empathy and belonging and help them find effective ways to feel better.”

This week, I hope you can practice some self-compassion and maybe see your deep emotional responses through the lens of empathy. Sending you a virtual hug!

Take care,

Juliette

Associate Mental Health Editor